Rules of Attraction By Simone Elkeles

Aug 26, 2010
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: April 13, 2010
ISBN: 0802720854
Pages: 336 pages
From amazon.com:
Carlos Fuentes doesn't want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him in Boulder, Colorado. He wants to keep living on the edge, and carve his own path—just like Alex did. Unfortunately, his ties to a Mexican gang aren't easy to break, and he soon finds himself being set up by a drug lord.
When Alex arranges for Carlos to live with his former professor and his family to keep him from being sent to jail, Carlos feels completely out of place. He's even more thrown by his strong feelings for the professor's daughter, Kiara, who is nothing like the girls he's usually drawn to. But Carlos and Kiara soon discover that in matters of the heart, the rules of attraction overpower the social differences that conspire to keep them apart.
As the danger grows for Carlos, he's shocked to discover that it's this seemingly All-American family who can save him. But is he willing to endanger their safety for a chance at the kind of life he's never even dreamed possible?
Alex and his mother decide that Carlos would be better off living in Colorado for his senior year. He thinks otherwise. Meanwhile Kiara is excited to be a guide to the new student, but her excitement quickly diminishes when she meets Carlos. They will teach each other many things, but most of all, what attraction really means.

I was excited to read this book after reading Perfect Chemistry and went out and got it as quickly as I could. I tried to read the book with an open mind and not compare to Perfect Chemistry's utter amazingness...

Carlos reminds me a lot of his brother, but he is definitely his own person too. Kiara is a unique person all together and I really enjoyed her character. They played off each other wonderfully and made an interesting story. I also loved Kiara's father, he was probably my favorite. The story is told in alternating points of view through Kiara and Carlos though.

The story itself was interesting and held my attention. That being said, I felt like it was very similar to Perfect Chemistry. It was hard not to compare the two because they became very similar overtime.

Overall the story was a nice romance and kept my interest. I hope the next book is more unique though.

Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I agree, I hope the next one is more unique as well. There were times when I actually caught myself skipping pages because it felt too "Perfect Chemistry" Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think the book was quite formulaic. I wish there had been a bit more originality, although I still really enjoyed it. Simone Elkeles writes chemistry between her two characters so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 Simone books! I need Chain Reaction!! lol :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails