Carrie Harris Interview

Sep 13, 2010
After I first saw the cover for Bad Taste in Boys I could not resist the urge to get a copy. Sadly I found that the book isn't available until 2011... But Carrie Harris, the author, was extremely nice and offered to do an interview and I could not just pass by that chance.
From goodreads.com:
Someone’s been a very bad zombie.

Super-smartie Kate Grable gets to play doctor, helping out her high school football team. Not only will the experience look good on her college apps, she gets to be thisclose to her quarterback crush, Aaron. Then something disturbing happens. Kate finds out that the coach has given the team steroids. Except . . . the vials she finds don’t exactly contain steroids. Whatever’s in them is turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless, flesh-eating . . . zombies.

Unless she finds an antidote, no one is safe. Not Aaron, not Kate’s brother, not her best friend . . . not even Kate . . .

It’s scary. It’s twisted. It’s sick. It’s high school.

Coming July 12, 2011
1. The cover of Bad Taste in Boys very intriguing, how involved were you in the cover process?
From what I’ve heard, most authors aren’t involved in covers at all, so I’m super lucky to have a fabulous editor who asked me for my opinion. It was so fun to look around at everything out there and send her covers that I liked. Of course, what I came up with wasn’t half as cool as the cover they gave me. I can’t explain how my designer heard the words “zombie football players” and came up with sugar lips, but it’s really a stroke of brilliance!

2. Okay another cover question, is that sugar or salt? Or something else entirely?
I’m pretty sure it’s sugar. I am definitely sure it’s not candied zombie bits. They sell those.

That doesn’t sounds to appetizing…
No, really. You’d be amazed at what goofy candy products you can find.

3. How did you get the idea for Bad Taste in Boys?
I like to play this game called Monster Math, which I talk about on my website. The whole idea of Monster Math is to put together ideas in new and interesting ways. I knew I wanted to write a zombie book, and a book about the dead football players from the movie Beetlejuice, and a book about weird science. So I mashed the ideas all together and divided them by high school geekery.
And I thought I’d never use algebra after high school.
But seriously. For me, the key is not getting the ideas, because I have more than I could possibly use. It’s finding two or three and putting them together in a way that’s hopefully never been done before.

4. Any past experiences with boys you've learned from and would like to share?

  1. Oh, yes! I’ve got a whole list of dating tips, like:
  2. 1. Drinking red tinted corn syrup at parties does not make a boy cool and vampiric. It makes his face sticky. Not fun to date. But on the upside, if you pelt him with glitter, it won’t fall off.
  3. 2. Let’s say hypothetically that your friends have tried to tell you that your boyfriend is dumber than a box of rocks. And then hypothetically he gets a cue ball stuck in his mouth. It’s time to concede that your friends might just be right.
  4. 3. Always ask if he’s recently been to jail. ALWAYS.
  5. 4. He might THINK he’s a werewolf, but he’s not. Trust me. Your couch could beat him up.
  6. Sadly enough, this isn’t the complete list. But still. Please. Learn from my mistakes.

5. Any plans for a series?
I’ve got a sequel that’s currently under review, with new and interesting monsters for Kate to hunt. Please keep your fingers crossed for me! Unless you’re a zombie, because I wouldn’t want to be responsible for the loss of your fingers due to torsion. I’m nice that way.

Here are some quick questions:

6. Favorite YA author of the moment?
The last YA I drooled over was Holly Black’s WHITE CAT.

7. Book you can't wait to be released this year?
I can’t wait for Kiersten White’s PARANORMALCY to hit the shelves. It’s as good as they say it is!

8. Favorite monster book?
I like a good dose of comedy with my monsters, so I’m going to go with anything by A. Lee Martinez.

9. Frankenstein or Dracula?
Dracula. What can I say? I like capes.

10. Monster prom or Monster wedding?
Monster wedding. But only because I want to score an invite to the monster baby shower.

Thanks again Carrie for doing this interview! Be sure to check out her site too because it is beyond gushable!

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant interview! I'm dying to read this one...and that cover is just awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Carrie Harris is so funny and I love her website. Thanks for doing the interview. Like you, this is a book I can't wait for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha oh my gosh, candied zombie bits. xP I would have never gotten sugar lips from zombie football players. Definitely not. :P!

    This is an awesome, awesome interview. It's funny, yet still professional at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails