Dirty Little Secrets by C.J. Omololu

Sep 14, 2010
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: February 2, 2010
ISBN: 080278660X
Pages: 224 pages
Source: Copy received from publisher
From amazon.com:

Everyone has a secret. But Lucy’s is bigger and dirtier than most. It’s one she’s been hiding for years—that her mom’s out-of-control hoarding has turned their lives into a world of garbage and shame. She’s managed to keep her home life hidden from her best friend and her crush, knowing they’d be disgusted by the truth. So, when her mom dies suddenly in their home, Lucy hesitates to call 911 because revealing their way of life would make her future unbearable—and she begins her two-day plan to set her life right.
With details that are as fascinating as they are disturbing, C. J. Omololu weaves an hour-by-hour account of Lucy’s desperate attempt at normalcy. Her fear and isolation are palpable as readers are pulled down a path from which there is no return, and the impact of hoarding on one teen’s life will have readers completely hooked.
I decided to read this book because the summary sounded unique. I love the play on words of the title too.

The book starts off with Lucy hanging out with friends. You're introduced to her house awhile later. At first it is disgusting, than it seemed more shocking than anything. After her mom dies though I was extremely shocked by Lucy. Although I understood her embarrassment I believe she handled the situation wrong.

Even though the book was set at a good pace and it was easy to read, I did not like the story. I found Lucy to be as shocking as her house and her mom's way of life. I especially thought the ending was a bad choice.

The one thing I did like was that although it was a horrible decision, a lot of people in her situation would have probably handled it the way she did. I just don't think the book sends the right message to those who are in a household like this.

Overall I don't know if I would recommend this book, but I did not like it. I think it could have been much better if Lucy had handled everything better.

Rating: 2.5 stars / 5 stars
 

2 comments:

  1. I read this not that long ago and also had mixed feelings about it. The ending is a little creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this book, but I'm sure I'd have mixed feelings about it, as well. I was appalled the moment I read the summary, about waiting two days to call for help. I think I might pass this one up. Good review, though! Honesty is always a plus.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails