The Fool's Girl by Celia Rees

Sep 16, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Pub. Date: July 20, 2010
ISBN: 1599904861
Pages: 304 pages
Source: Copy received from publisher
From goodreads.com:
Young and beautiful Violetta may be of royal blood, but her kingdom is in shambles when she arrives in London on a mysterious mission. Her journey has been long and her adventures many, but it is not until she meets the playwright William Shakespeare that she gets to tell the entire story from beginning to end. Violetta and her comic companion, Feste, have come in search of an ancient holy relic that the evil Malvolio has stolen from their kingdom. But where will their remarkable quest—and their most unusual story—lead? In classic Celia Rees style, it is an engrossing journey, full of political intrigue, danger, and romance.

This wholly original story is spun from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, and includes both folly and suspense that would make the Bard proud.
I first saw this book in the bookstore. The cover caught my eye and the summary caught my interest. After picking it up I realized that it looks like modern day language, but has a slight touch of olden English.

The beginning of the book was very confusing, I became lost and didn't know what to do. I decided to continue reading though in hopes of finding my way back into the story. I'm glad I did. The adventure that Violetta and Feste pursue is like the summary says, "an engrossing journey". There is also a romantic element in the story that I enjoyed. Historical fiction is nice, but add some romance and it is wonderful!

Although the beginning of the story is confusing and a bit boring, hang on. If you can make it through the first 50 pages or so, you'll be glad you did. Celia Rees brings a unique touch to this story and will make you want to read Twelfth Night.

Overall the book was unique and kept my interest.

Rating: 3.5 stars / 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I wanted to let you know you have a blog award waiting for you on my blog: http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! I've read Celia's other books, Pirates! (which is the best so far) and Sovay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book last month too and thought it was okay. I thought that if it was chopped in half, it would probably would have been better but still, it was pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, the cover is pretty. That's probably what caught my attention, moreso than the summary.

    I'll have to pick it up sometime and see what I make of it! Good review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails