Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready

Sep 20, 2010
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub. Date: May 4, 2010
ISBN: 1416994068
Pages: 320 pages
Source: Publisher
From goodreads.com:
Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding--and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.

I had heard a lot about this book and was curious to see what all the buzz was about. I put it off for awhile though because it didn't seem to be that interesting.

Aura's story was more interesting than I had imagined. I wanted to know what would happen next and didn't put the book down more than once. The overall plot idea was great and I loved the somewhat of a love triangle.

There were times when I found myself wondering where the story was going and I lost interest. At the end of the book I found myself a bit bored because not much had happened. In spite of this I continued to read because there were many parts of the book I did like.

The characters were alright. I didn't find Aura to be a great protagonist, but she has room to improve in the next book. I did find myself drooling over Zachary though. Not only for the accent, but also for his great personality.

Overall this was a good book and I recommend it to those looking for an easy and interesting paranormal read. I feel like this book would be better as a prequel rather than the first book because not much happens with the story. Even so, I think Jeri Smith-Ready set herself up for a great series.

Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I actually haven't heard anything about this book but I'm interest after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of it either. Great review and thanks for picking a new to me book :)

    I'm doing a bit of late hopping. Better late and find some new posts then never. :)

    Happy Reading!

    Black Disaster Fairy

    http://literarydaydreams.blogspot.com
    http://wickedsexybooks.blogspot.com
    http://ikissbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing a lot of good reviews for this book. I'm a little iffy about how the main character isn't that strong protagonist-wise, but I think I'll live! :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails