The Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick

Oct 11, 2010
Publisher: Aladdin
Pub. Date: April 22, 2008
ISBN: 1416970797
Pages: 288 pages
Source: Author
From amazon.com:
The book club is about to get a makeover....
Even if Megan would rather be at the mall, Cassidy is late for hockey practice, Emma's already read every book in existence, and Jess is missing her mother too much to care, the new book club is scheduled to meet every month.
But what begins as a mom-imposed ritual of reading Little Women soon helps four unlikely friends navigate the drama of middle school. From stolen journals, to secret crushes, to a fashion-fiasco first dance, the girls are up to their Wellie boots in drama. They can't help but wonder: What would Jo March do?
Acclaimed author Heather Vogel Frederick will delight daughters of all ages in a novel about the fabulousness of fiction, family, and friendship.
After reading the summary of this book I was excited to pick it up! I have never read Little Women, but after reading this book I am thinking about reading it.

I was unaware that the girls in this story are only in middle school. I wasn't able to tell from the summary, so I was a bit worried that I wouldn't like it... I could barely tell that they were so young though! To be totally honest, I continually forgot until they made a reference to middle school in the book.

This book is told from the points of view of the four girls in the book club. They were all wonderfully written parts and they each had a unique personality. I also liked the fact that each girl is from a different social class (i.e. middle class, upper class, ect.). It was refreshing from books today which all seem to have either middle class characters or upper class.

I think many girls of all ages would enjoy this book. I enjoyed it because the story itself was unique. It also gave me a new outlook of Little Women. I've heard how boring and long the book is, but after reading The Mother-Daughter Book Club I am excited to have a fresh look on it.

Overall this was a very enjoyable book and I am excited to start reading the next book.

Rating: 4.5 stars / 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails