Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Oct 21, 2010
Publisher: Point
Pub. Date: June 1, 2010
ISBN: 0439922305
Pages: 320 pages
Source: Publisher
From amazon.com:
Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science. . .and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.

There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship. . .and reality.
Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?
I was really excited to read Sea Change because it is about mermaid's! I have only read one other mermaid book and I really enjoyed it, so I've been looking for some more ever since.

First off, characters of the book were not that great. Most of them were underdeveloped and felt fake. I think you should feel like you really know the character for it to be a good one. Leo was a decent character though. He had the perfect mysterious aura and he was probably the best part of the story.

I think that the idea for the story/plot was great. The way the story was written wasn't that great though. The relationships of the characters seemed rushed and unreal. The pace of the story was good, but I didn't feel like there was ever a climax.

Overall the book was okay. I didn't find myself interested in this book while reading it. I continued reading it though because I had hoped it would get more exciting. I really hope there is a sequel so some of my questions will be answered. The author definitely has a lot of potential.

Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars

5 comments:

  1. I have yet to read any books about mermaid even though there are quite a dew out right now. Based on your review I think I will check out one of the others. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book, but I was sad about the ending - it felt incomplete to me. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the book and thought it was enjoyable, but I agree with you the relationships did seem a bit rushed.
    It's so hard to find a mermaid story that you can say you absolutely love...besides Disney's The Little Mermaid,which is very different from the original story by H.C. Anderson.
    I hope Aimee makes a sequel for it, because it seems like there is so much more to the story that it can't just and there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails