Anastasia's Secret by Susanne Dunlap

Nov 18, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Pub. Date: March 2, 2010
ISBN: 1599904209
Pages: 352 pages
Source: Copy received from publisher
From goodreads.com:
Will I never see you again either?” I asked, feeling as though I was about to jump off a high mountain peak and hope to land without hurting myself. That’s how impossible everything seemed at that moment, no matter what I did.
“Perhaps we will meet again,” Sasha said, softening his voice. “But you must see that it does not matter. You have so much ahead of you. It’s your choice now. Choose the future! Choose life!”

For Anastasia Romanov, life as the privileged daughter of Russia’s last tsar is about to be torn apart by the bloodshed of revolution. Ousted from the imperial palace when the Bolsheviks seize control of the government, Anastasia and her family are exiled to Siberia. But even while the rebels debate the family’s future with agonizing slowness and the threat to their lives grows more menacing, romance quietly blooms between Anastasia and Sasha, a sympathetic young guard she has known since childhood. But will the strength of their love be enough to save Anastasia from a violent death?

Inspired by the mysteries that have long surrounded the last days of the Romanov family, Susanne Dunlap’s new novel is a haunting vision of the life—and love story—of Russia’s last princess.
Susanne Dunlap is the author of The Musician's Daughter, which received a lot of praise. I decided I would try her newest novel, Anastasia's Secret. Not only am I extremely interested in Anastasia and her entire family, but I was excited to read about her and Sasha. Historical fiction with a bit of romance is the best kind, in my opinion.

The book starts off with Anastasia at the age of about 12 or 13. She meets Sasha around this time and he opens her eyes to a whole other world.The "real people's" world. This small action changes Anastasia for the rest of her life. Not only does she have worries for the people of Russia now, but she is also slowly falling in love with a guard.

From the start the story was somewhat slow. You grow up with Anastasia and see Russia and the royal family through her eyes. The "insight" to everything was amazing and very informative. I learned a lot reading this book and was able to see how the royal family lived. Even with all the information and the romance between her and Sasha the story was slow.

Overall I think the book was a good read. Although the story is not very gripping, I would recommend it to those who like historical fiction. You will learn a lot about the royal family and their life during the time before and during their exile.

Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars

1 comments:

  1. I love any story about Anastasia; I'm not sure why. The movie by 20th Century Fox could be the reason, ha. ;) This book sounds good, even if it isn't very action-filled. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails