The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Nov 9, 2010
Publisher: Poppy
Pub. Date: September 7, 2010
ISBN: 0316084239
Pages: 288 pages
Source: Publisher
From goodreads.com:
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
I was so excited when I got a copy of this book! The reviews I read had been great and I couldn't wait to get started. A couple days before reading it though I read a review that said many people either loved or hated it, I feel like I am in between.

First off, this book has a lot of cussing and sexual references. I would only recommend it to high school students and up.

I found Bianca to be a very relate able character. She deals with so many issues that teenage girls face everyday. The main reason I liked this book was because of all the issues she faces: insecurity with her looks, self esteem, boy issues, and jealousy of her friends. I found that some of her actions were inappropriate though and I don't know many people who would do what she did. Wesley was definitely a gush worthy 'bad' guy.

The overall story was also very enjoyable. There were a few things I found predictable, but I find that many stories like this are (not that it should be acceptable). The relationship between Bianca and Wesley was the main reason I found this book so good. I also liked the concept of 'the DUFF'; I've never heard someone refer to 'the DUFF' yet I can definitely relate. Kody Keplinger wrote a great book, but I definitely see room for improvement. Hopefully this won't be the last book she writes...

Overall I really enjoyed this book and hope to see more books from Kody Keplinger in the future. I found The DUFF to be a great high school read.

Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars

1 comments:

  1. This one is still sitting on my Mnt. TBR. It sounds super fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails