Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin

Nov 22, 2010
Publisher: Dial
Pub. Date: September 7, 2010
ISBN: 0803733720
Pages: 400 pages
Source:Publisher
From goodreads.com:
Phoebe finds herself drawn to Mallory, the strange and secretive new kid in school, and the two girls become as close as sisters . . . until Mallory's magnetic older brother, Ryland, shows up during their junior year. Ryland has an immediate, exciting hold on Phoebe, but a dangerous hold, for she begins to question her feelings about her best friend and, worse, about herself. Soon she'll discover the shocking truth about Ryland and Mallory: that these two are visitors from the faerie realm who have come to collect on an age-old debt. Generations ago, the faerie queen promised Pheobe's ancestor five extraordinary sons in exchange for the sacrifice of one ordinary female heir. But in hundreds of years there hasn't been a single ordinary girl in the family, and now the faeries are dying. Could Phoebe be the first ordinary one? Could she save the faeries, or is she special enough to save herself? 
First off, the cover of this book is really beautiful. It is the first thing that caught my eye and in person it has a "sparkly" effect. Definitely check it out the next time you go to the bookstore, if you have not.

The beginning of the story is really interesting and I couldn't put it down. You're introduced to Phoebe and Mallory right of the bat. There are also conversations with "the faerie queen" ever two chapters or so. I found them interesting and confusing at the same time. Confusing in a way that made me want to keep reading though.

Towards the middle of the book I began to lose interest. I felt the story was dragged on and on and should have been shorter. By the time I got to the end I had skimmed many chapters and was happy to finally see the ending. The plot idea was fantastic and I really wish the story itself hadn't been so long.

I found Phoebe annoying. She was extremely insecure and relied on Mallory a lot. Towards the end she gets a bit better, but I feel like she should have grown up more. Mallory was an okay character, as was Ryland. None of the characters really caught my interest or kept it.

Overall Extraordinary wasn't that good. I gave it 3 stars because the plot idea was good, the cover was fantastic, and I really enjoyed the first part of the book. I haven't read Nancy Werlin's other book yet, but I don't feel like I will if it is similar to this one.

Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad that the MC was annoying to you! I love Nancy Werlin's writing, so I've been excited for this one. I'll definitely keep your gripes in mind when I try it. Have you tried Impossible by Nancy Werlin, or perhaps The Rules of Survival? I thought The latter was excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, it's sad that you didn't enjoy this one that much. All of the reviews I've been reading about this one have actually been quite negative, which is sad because Werlin's previous books are fantastic. Though, thanks for the honest review! And if you feel like giving Werlin another try sometime I highly suggest you pick up The Rules of Survival or/and Impossible. Both are fantastic and the later of the two was one of my favorite books last year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails