Holly's Favorites

Nov 30, 2010
Holly Cupala, author of Tell Me a Secret, has stopped by today on her Tell Me a Secret tour to tell us about her favorite books! If you don't know who Holly is or what her book is about check out the summary:

Tell me a secret, and I'll tell you one…

In the five years since her bad-girl sister Xanda’s death, Miranda Mathison has wondered about the secret her sister took to the grave, and what really happened the night she died. Now, just as Miranda is on the cusp of her dreams—a best friend to unlock her sister’s world, a ticket to art school, and a boyfriend to fly her away from it all—Miranda has a secret all her own.

Then two lines on a pregnancy test confirm her worst fears. Stripped of her former life, Miranda must make a choice with tremendous consequences and finally face her sister’s demons and her own.

In this powerful debut novel, stunning new talent Holly Cupala illuminates the dark struggle of a girl who must let go of her past to find a way into her own future.

Click read more to find out what Laurie Halse Anderson book Holly loves and all of her other favorites....


Hello, everyone, and many thanks to Katie for hosting me today for the Tell Me a Secret tour!
Katie asked me to tell you about some of my favorite books…which, I confess, are nearly impossible to narrow down. Sometimes I want to read a deep and tangled journey, like Geraldine McCaughrean’s The White Darkness. Other times, I want to read a mysterious, vivid fantasy, like Janet Lee Carey’s The Dragons of Noor. Still other times, I want gritty realism, like Stephanie Kuehnert’s Ballads of Suburbia.
But the one quality that ties all of my favorites together? They have changed the way I think or feel in some inimitable way. Here are some of my top favorites of all time:
Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson. I love this book most because it broke ground in my mind of what was possible in YA and calls to a deep, brave place in the reader.
Fat Kid Rules the World, by K.L. Going. Funny, moving, and triumphant—a boy who saves his life by nearly losing it, saving another in the process.
Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale. Brilliant and hilarious, I wanted to live in this world and know these characters well.
The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende. I could go back to this one again and again. Well-loved and dog-eared.
Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino. A strange little book chronicling the imaginary journeys of Marco Polo, as told to Kublai Kahn, and perhaps my favorite book ever.




Thank you, Katie, and I hope you readers enjoy the tour!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's crazy. How have I never heard of Janet Lee Carey’s The Dragons of Noor before?! It sounds really good! :D

    Holly has some dang great taste in books. While I've only admittedly heard of 2 out of 5 on her top favorite list (Speak and The Neverending Story), her bookshelf is loaded with titles I loved/adored/obsessed over!

    Holly's debut sounds great (based off of the synopsis!). I've seen this cover around on a few other book sites, but hadn't really looked into it until now. I'm kind of mad I didn't look into it sooner! Definitely going to have to pick this one up soon. :)

    Thank you for stopping by, Holly! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, thanks so much for inviting me to your blog, and thank you to Kristina for stopping by! I love that shelf. I'm constantly trying to figure out ways to cram more books into it! And it's actually double-deep, so there are even more books in the space behind. If you read any of my faves, I'd love to know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails