Lauren Conrad Style by Lauren Conrad

Dec 9, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Pub. Date:  October 5th 2010
ISBN:  0061989142
Pages: 224 pages
Source: Publisher
From goodreads.com:
Lauren Conrad is just twenty-four, but she is already well known for several reasons. Her reality roles in MTV's Laguna Beach and The Hills made her famous; her pretty face has graced the covers of Cosmo, Seventeen and other magazines; she designs a namesake clothing line; and she's the author of the top-selling teen novels L.A. Candy and Sweet Little Lies. This fully illustrated style guide features Lauren's favorite tips on looking good and staying stylish. A fine gift for any fretful teenage girl.
This is definitely not the usual kind of book I review. I jumped at the chance to get a copy though because I love doing makeup and hair and I was curious to see what Lauren had to say about that. I also love Lauren Conrad and her style is amazing (in my opinion) and I wanted to see what tips and tricks she could give me.

First: the style. I enjoyed learning about the staple pieces everyone should have and also how to hem jeans (which I didn't know how to do properly). I found organizing my closet was a bit helpful too. Other than that the other style chapters didn't really interest me. She talks about shopping and wearing vintage, getting the best t-shirt for you, dressing proportionately, and much more. It's not that they didn't inform me, the definitely did, I just didn't find that I would be using the information anytime soon.

Next: the makeup. I always loved Lauren's eyeliner, but I didn't know that she never wears eyeshadow. Did you? Even so, her makeup artist tells the reader the best day and nighttime looks, easy ways to do the smoky eye, tips on applying concealer, bronzer, and blush, and of course the eyeliner. I found all of these sections very interesting and I am definitely going to be trying out all of the looks.

Last: the hair. I was disappointed with this section for a few reasons. First, I found the instructions hard to follow. I wanted to try out the guide for making the perfect waves and the simple up do. Both instructions confused me though and I feel like I'd be better off looking on YouTube for tutorials. Even so, the tips for keeping one's hair healthy were very helpful and I definitely learned a few things.

There were other sections like organizing your closet and I found these helpful too. Although this book had very simple information, I still was able to learn from it. If you are an avid reader of style magazines, I would just borrow this book from the library because most of this can be found in magazines. It is a nice compilation of information though.

Overall I found this book to be a great starter guide for women. As for women who are more experienced in style, makeup, and hair it is still a great read and you are bound to find some new tips and information.

Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails