Blog Files: Cussing in YA

Jan 21, 2011

This week I am excited to have author Melissa Walker here to talk about cussing in YA. She did a vlog for us about her views. Without further ado...




So, how do you feel about cussing in YA? I personally do not care for cussing in YA books, but if it is mild I will stick it out. If there are any "F-bombs", than I usually set the book aside. I don't feel like their is really any call or use for cuss words in books. Once in awhile in situations that they seem very likely to pop-up I am okay with though. (I know my view is a bit contradictory...)

Have a blessed weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not opposed to curse words in YA books because it makes the characters more real. I didn't always talk like I should have when I was a teenager, so why should characters in books? I grew up in a house where those words were used a lot--too much--and so it doesn't bother me to see a few words here or there. There is a time and place for those words and sometimes when they're missing I don't feel the emotion as much as I think I should.

    Did that make sense? Haha. I don't want to rant...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I don't use curse words that often myself, but I wouldn't put a book aside just because it did. I think that if it's natural to the character, then it's important to use it.

    Most of the YA I've read uses milder words, like damn or darn or will tell us that the character cursed. To me it seems a little odd to do the latter, but I'd rather that than see characters who would likely use the F-bomb, but the writer has them say something really mild in it's place, like gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind milder cursing, but overuse puts me off a book. Cursing was one of the main reasons I started enjoying YA much more than adult fiction. I just hate books (and films!!!) where every other word is an f-bomb.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm no prude and I do swear myself, but not in everyday conversation. There has to be a good reason. For instance, if I ever found myself being eaten alive by a Werewolf, I might just drop an s-bomb :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails