The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Jan 25, 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date:  October 6th 2009
ISBN:  0385737947
Pages: 374 pages
Source: Publisher
From Amazon.com:
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind. 
Wow. This book surpassed my expectations. All I can say is you have to read this book.

I personally love dystopian novels and naturally this book interested me. The synopsis sounded like nothing I had read before and I was definitely excited to read it. After I picked it up I could not put it down. I took a couple of breaks, but only because I began to get a headache from staring at the pages for so long.

The beginning of the book was a bit slow, but only for about 30 or 40 pages. After that it picked up and it got better and better. It kept me guessing and wondering what was going on. I did not find this book at all predictable. The only thing I request is for romance in the next book.

Thomas was a great protagonist. I loved reading about him and through his point of view. I am normally not a fan of books with a male point of view, not because I am sexist, but I just can't seem to be interested in the way they think and the problems they face (if that makes sense). James Dashner did a great job with Thomas and all of the other characters, especially Minho (probably my favorite character).

Overall I highly recommend this book, especially for fans of The Hunger Games. James Dashner wonderfully crafted the world of the Glades and has become one of my favorite authors after one book.

Rating: 5 stars / 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails