Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian

Jan 17, 2011

Publisher: Push
Pub. Date:  September 1st 2010
ISBN:  0545169151
Pages: 336 pages
Source: Publisher
From Goodreads.com:
Natalie Sterling wants to be in control. She wants her friends to be loyal. She wants her classmates to elect her student council president. She wants to find the right guy, not the usual jerk her school has to offer. She wants a good reputation, because she believes that will lead to good things.
But life is messy, and it's very hard to be in control of it. Not when there are freshman girls running around in a pack, trying to get senior guys to sleep with them. Not when your friends have secrets they're no longer comfortable sharing. Not when the boy you once dismissed ends up being the boy you wants to sleep with yourself - but only in secret, with nobody ever finding out.
Slut or saint? Winner or loser? Natalie is getting tired of these forced choices - and is now going to find a way to live life in the sometimes messy, sometimes wonderful in-between.
When I first saw this book I decided to skip it. I didn't find the cover very appealing, mainly because it is a bit "awkward". To me at least. I received it from the publisher to review though and I almost pushed it aside to forget about. I'm glad I didn't though.

The plot idea wasn't extremely original, but it worked. I loved Siobhan Vivian's writing. I feel like if this book was written by someone else I wouldn't have cared for it, but I found she is such a wonderful writer. I wasn't on the edge of my seat, but I was entertained and looking forward to what would happen next. She portrayed high school really well too and included all of the basically necessary things: peer pressure, girls who want attention, crushes, striving to be the best, friend drama, and more.

I have to say that I found myself annoyed with Natalie quite a bit. I can't really say why because it would spoil the book, but some of her decisions really got to me. They were ridiculous. Then again, she is a teenage girl. So, I understand that she isn't perfect. For the most part I liked her as the protagonist and I was extremely glad to see her really grow by the end of the story.

Overall this was a good story and I've learned the age old lesson: never judge a book by it's "awkward" cover.

Rating: 3.5 stars / 5 stars

1 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I loved Siobhan's debut novel so I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails