Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

Jan 10, 2011

Publisher: Point
Pub. Date: January 1st 2011
ISBN: 0545240778
Pages: 288 pages
Source: Publisher
From goodreads.com:
After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn’t interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be — especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.
Lizzie is happy about her friend’s burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles’s friend, Will Darcy, who’s snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn’t seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it’s because her family doesn’t have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk — so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?
Will Lizzie’s pride and Will’s prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season — prom or otherwise. 

First off, I love Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It is by far one of my favorite novels of all time. Which says a lot because I don't usually like books written a long time ago... Back to the point,  I had high expectations when I first picked up this book and was pleasantly surprised by how much I really enjoyed it!

I was expecting a complete re-telling of Pride and Prejudice, but modernized. I found that the plot was loosely based on Pride and Prejudice, not entirely based on it though. There were scenes from the original that I found in this one, the relationships, and of course characters. Elizabeth Eulberg changed things around though to suit her setting and characters and I think it worked extremely well. It was really fun for me to find the connections to Pride and Prejudice, even the small ones.

Elizabeth Eulberg's Lizzie Bennett wasn't exactly like the original, but I still enjoyed reading about her. She is still a strong-willed and opinionated teenage girl, just in a modern day world. Darcy was very swoon-worthy and wonderful, but I felt like he was different in this book. Not in a bad way, but if you have read Pride and Prejudice book I'm sure you'll be able to see what I mean. I want to note that while all the main characters from Pride and Prejudice are in the book, they don't all hold the same relationships to one another. I liked how Eulberg played with them though and put them into different roles. It was exciting to see where another character would pop up!

Overall this book was really good. I loved the humor, romance, and how well Elizabeth Eulberg re-made Pride and Prejudice. I'm not a huge fan of re-makes, but Prom and Prejudice was a definite exception. I highly recommend this for all readers!

Rating: 4.5 stars / 5 stars

1 comments:

  1. I recently one a copy of this book so now I can't wait to get it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails