Tell Me A Secret by Holly Cupala

Jan 24, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pub. Date: June 22nd 2010
ISBN: 0061766666
Pages: 256 pages
Source: Publisher
From GoodReads.com:
 
Tell me a secret, and I'll tell you one…

In the five years since her bad-girl sister Xanda’s death, Miranda Mathison has wondered about the secret her sister took to the grave, and what really happened the night she died. Now, just as Miranda is on the cusp of her dreams—a best friend to unlock her sister’s world, a ticket to art school, and a boyfriend to fly her away from it all—Miranda has a secret all her own.

Then two lines on a pregnancy test confirm her worst fears. Stripped of her former life, Miranda must make a choice with tremendous consequences and finally face her sister’s demons and her own.

In this powerful debut novel, stunning new talent Holly Cupala illuminates the dark struggle of a girl who must let go of her past to find a way into her own future.
 I remember the months leading up to the release of this book. Holly Cupala was having amazing giveaways and I actually won one. I received a small preview of the book and after reading it I was excited to read the book.

The overall plot line of this book wasn't unique, but I liked the take Hollly had on it. She wasn't "preachy" and didn't blatantly tell you what she thought was right or wrong in this situation. I felt like she let her character choose and make her own decisions. I also liked the mystery and admiration Miranda (Rand) saw around Xanda and her death. I didn't feel like it drove the story, but it was one of the main reasons I kept reading.

As for characters, I didn't really connect with one over another. I felt like I was watching Miranda instead of seeing her thoughts and feeling the emotions she felt. The other characters weren't that interesting either. I did like that Holly incorporated many different types of characters though. Especially those that change just to better their social status.

Overall this was a good author debut and I am excited to see what Holly comes out with next.

Rating: 3.5 stars / 5 stars 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails