The Unidentified by Rae Mariz

Jan 26, 2011
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pub. Date: October 5th 2010
ISBN: 0061802085
Pages: 336 pages
Source: Publisher
From goodreads.com:
Kid knows her school’s corporate sponsors not-so-secretly monitor her friendships and activities for market research. It’s all a part of the Game; the alternative education system designed to use the addictive kick from video games to encourage academic learning. Everyday, a captive audience of students ages 13-17 enter the nationwide chain store-like Game locations to play.

When a group calling themselves The Unidentified simulates a suicide to protest the power structure of their school, Kid’s investigation into their pranks attracts unwanted attention from the sponsors. As Kid finds out she doesn't have rights to her ideas, her privacy, or identity, she and her friends look for a way to revolt in a place where all acts of rebellion are just spun into the next new ad campaign.
I thought the concept of this book was really cool. The whole idea of the Game caught my attention and was the main reason I picked up this book.

I have to say that I was really disappointed in the plot. The kids are sent to the Game to get a good education and to get "branded". I didn't see any real education happening and it made me wonder why any parent would send their kids to this. I also caught myself getting bored at times, it wasn't a book that I could read in a couple of sittings.

The characters are alright as a whole. Kid was a good protagonist, but not a stand out one. The other characters were alright too. I did like the variety of character personalities that were included. There was definitely a spectrum of personalities in this book.

Overall the book was simply okay. I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't not recommend it either.

Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I actually wanted to get this book but I've been hearing mixed feelings on it. Now I'm not so sure haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, this book was pretty exciting because I teach high school. I've passed it on to a teacher (who's now using it in his English class to teach advertising) and some students who are interested in culture. I love a good dystopia--Too bad you didn't connect with this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails