Blog Files: Commenting

Feb 25, 2011
Commenting. It's something we all do on a regular basis. What exactly is the science of commenting though? Why do we feel the need to comment on some blogs, while not on others? Do we expect to get visitors, to help the blogger, to thank/congratulate/ect the blogger? While I don't know the answers to these questions I am sure you have an opinion on this one:

Do you expect a blogger to return a comment?

While, it would be nice, I don't "expect" other bloggers to return my comments. I personally comment because I have an opinion on their post and would like to share it. I also like to thank bloggers for reviews that have sparked my interest on a book. When I see reviews about books I have previously read, I like to leave a little comment too.

Why don't I expect comments back? Because people get busy, and just because I post a comment on their blog, it doesn't mean they even like mine. I don't feel bloggers should feel pressured to return comments. I think it's just nice to receive/give a comment too, personally it makes my day. It shows me that someone took the time to read my review/post and that they found it useful. It's always nice knowing that when you spend a lot of time on something someone in the world appreciates it.

So, what do you think? Should bloggers return comments? Or should commenters not expect something out of it, besides making the blogger feel good?

Have a blessed weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I guess I am of two minds. If I comment on someone's post I don't do it so that they'll comment in return. I comment because I liked their post, what they had to say, or because I also loved/hated that particular book. But when people comment on my blog I almost always make sure that I go and comment on a post of theirs. To me it's reciprocity, and it allows me to read posts that I might otherwise have shuffled over in Google Reader or not even seen at all. So should people expect comments in return? No, it's unrealistic, especially when you're commenting on a really popular blog. But for me, as someone who doesn't get a ton of comments, I think it's a nice gesture to return them when possible. Does that make sense, or am I talking all over myself? =b

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people should only comment if they have something to say. Commenting just for the sake of commenting seems like a waste of time to me. I'd rather be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't expect bloggers to return comments. But if I'm was regular at someone's blog and they didn't *ever* come visit mine, I would definitely stop commenting. Ultimately I blog to build relationships with other readers. So if the conversation is always one sided, it defeats the purpose.

    I try to visit people when I notice their names come up a couple of times in my comments.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails