Blog Files: Contradictory Blogs

Feb 4, 2011

Hello bookish people! Today I want to talk about, what I consider, contradictory blogs. You're probably scratching your head and wondering what on earth Well, I am talking about those blogs that review YA fiction and adult fiction books.

Before I start ranting and raving, I want to say that this is my own opinion and everyone is allowed to have one.

Now, I'm sure you all have visited a blog that reviews YA books and adult books. Don't you think that that is contradictory? I mean you are attracting young readers to your blog! Why in the world would you also review adult books that are inappropriate for those readers? Sure, they don't have to read them and their parents should monitor what they read, but honestly you should not even be allowing them to ponder the thought of picking up an adult book.

The blogs that review YA fiction and adult fiction that just revolve around adults, but no cussing or inappropriate subjects are better than others, but still not good. It shocks me when I see blogs that have not only YA fiction book reviews and topics, but also erotica and other very sexual books and overall inappropriate books. I personally think it is ridiculous. Why not just create two blogs? I know it would be more work, but honestly I worry about the readers more than anything else. I would not want my daughter/son on a site that has any type of content about books they should not be reading.

I know that many bloggers review their books because they enjoy them, but when you know that most of your readers are probably younger, than you should take into account your readers.

On that note, I would really like to know how you feel about this. A lot of the time I feel like I am the only one who feels this way, and it makes me wonder why or if I really am not alone. Please leave your comments below!

Have a safe weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Katie - I agree & disagree. I'll read & review both. I have a very specific reason for this. I cater my site more to readers who are parents. The books I review are books that I'm considering giving to my family. I accidentally gave my niece a book that didn't have a steam rating on it and was appalled when I did read it that it was considered YA. That's one of the things that got me into blogging - I want to KNOW before I hand a book to my niece, nephew, grandma, etc that what I'm giving them will be enjoyed -- you simply can't find that info by reading the back of the book any more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I handle this is by reviewing books that don't fit into my blog on Goodreads and/or Amazon. I try to keep my blog just for children's/YA (although I think most of my readers are adults, you can't really be sure!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mostly post YA reviews, but i do read the occasional Adult novel - not enough to start a second blog for so i review them on the current one. However as I am still young myself and I really don't like anything rude or inappropriate all the 'Adult' books i do read tend to be clean and suitable if a younger reader picked it up, they never feature sex or things like that and are never overly violent (I hate blood and gore).
    If i did review one that i knew would be inappropriate then I would put a warning on the top of the review saying it is not for younger readers.
    However if you have a blog encouraging YA that then post reviews of really rude books that I wouldn't want someone my age even reading (I'm nearly 23!) then I do think there is a problem.
    It's one of those things you have to ask whether your conscience is happy promoting those sort of things on a child friendly site.
    Good thing to point out though - there are definitely some people out there who should read this and have a think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do find it disturbing when I go to a blog that I follow for their YA reviews and find an erotic book that's been reviewed. I'm an adult, but it still bothers me. I know there is sex in YA books, but it doesn't even compare to adult books.

    There is another blog I followed that also reviewed sex toys and had ads on their blog. I unfollowed them because if you're reviewing YA books, like you said, who do you think is looking at this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just about to say what Jasmine mentioned. I was following one YA blog that decided to review sex toys. I had to unfollow also, b/c I wouldn't want my children standing over my shoulder when I scrolled through my reader and those reviews popped up. I thought that was a little inappropriate, but people can do whatever they want on their blogs.

    I read lots of YA and though I don't review them on my blog, I occasionally review them on Goodreads. It never even crosses my mind that kids will be reading my reviews.

    However, on my blog, I always try to keep track of who my audience is. If I knew I had a lot of children following me, I'd want to be careful about what I put out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that erotica shouldn't be included on a blog that reviews mostly YA, but I think that a lot of adult books are fine. When I was a teen, I was reading a lot of adult SciFi, Fantasy, and Fiction, so I don't think that it's really mixing up age groups. I think that there should definitely be a warning in the review if it contains something inappropriate, but most teens are able to make their own decisions about what to read. Now, if you're catering to Middle Grade readers as well, that's a different matter entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I'm gonna be the odd man out. I review both, because I read both.

    Many adults read YA, many teens read adult. I started reading adult novels at the age of 11. If parents chose to shelter their kids from adult books that is their choice. But to think my blog is catering to only teens because I review YA as well as adult simply isn't the case.

    I certainly think it's ridiculous to review adult toys in an environment where teens may happen by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the point here is that an "adult book" isn't always erotica or the like :). I review both YA and Adult books, but most of the latter are mysteries and science fiction. I figure that most of my readers can relate to both.

    Oh and of course if I ever read a book I deem inappropriate for my blog, I just post the review on Goodreads instead. People will still see it, but it keeps it from the eyes of my younger readers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails