Blog Files: Reviewing a Reviewed Book

Feb 18, 2011

Have you ever read and reviewed a book, and then awhile later realized you like it more/less? I have and it frustrates me because I don't know if I should review it again or not.

I've only seen one blogger post a review for a book she has already reviewed and it got be to thinking about some books that I feel differently about. Some I have completely changed my view and others I just don't feel were as bad/good as I previously thought. It's not that I reviewed the book in a certain way on purpose, I just have had time to really think it over. Now this is only a few books, but it's still some of them.

When I review a book I review it within at least 2 weeks (this is very rare, but I've waited this long sometimes), so that the review is my initial reaction of the book. I think that this is a good time frame because the book is fresh in my mind and I know how I feel. But at the same time, could it be too soon? What if I decide that the book wasn't that amazing or that bad?

I've thought about doing a "re-review" a few times though, but then stopped and wondered whether it would just be a waste. What do you think? Should bloggers review books they realize they have changed their mind about or not?

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I have started to take anywhere from 2-4 weeks to finish writing a review. I'll write a quick one, marking my initial reaction to a book then revisit it in a week, then in two weeks, and again when I have scheduled to post it.

    Some books I would be under rating if I did it on initial reaction. For whatever reason sometimes the longer I sit on something the more I fall in love with it. Then again, it always works the other way too... I think I love it then after a week I can't remember a danged thing about it and ask myself was it REALLY that good or was it just timing.

    I don't know about reviewing a book twice. I guess if I truly wanted to retract my previous review I could but I figure there is enough talk in other posts (discussion posts) and on twitter that my extended thoughts would eventually reach some of my main readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say go for it, it would be honest and interesting. And I wouldn't so much call it a retraction of your initial review. It's just that your thoughts and feelings about it changed over time. I'm pretty sure this has happened to all of us at some point. Lord knows, I've changed ratings on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails