Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Feb 1, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pub. Date: February 1st 2011
ISBN: 0061726826
Pages: 440 pages
Source: Publisher
From goodreads.com:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -the deliria- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
In all honesty I didn't care for Lauren's first novel, Before I Fall. I thought it was too long and not very interesting. I couldn't resist getting this one though because the summary sounded really good. I was extremely excited to find that I wasn't disappointed either!

The plot of this book is loosely based on Romeo and Juliet - the whole 'forbidden love' thing. I think Lauren definitely made it her own in this novel. I couldn't wait to see what happened next for Lena and because of that I could not put this book down! The whole idea of love being a disease was very amusing for me. It is so ridiculous and very interesting. I found myself laughing at the beginning because of all the rules, guidelines, and signs of having the disease.

Lena was a great heroine. I thought she was easy to relate too and smart. There were some decisions and things that I didn't like about her, but is anyone perfect? Hanna kept me laughing and interested too. Some of the things she did were off the wall (according to the "time period") and I loved her as Lena's best friend. Grace was such an adorable character too. I felt a lot of pain for her even though she wasn't a main character and I hope I found out more about her in future books. As for the other characters whom I shall not name for fear of spoiling the story, I loved them...

You will find yourself laughing and hurting and even crying in this roller coaster of a novel. The emotions run deep in this book and I am really glad that I didn't let one book get in the way of this one.

Overall this was a wonderful book and I am waiting for the sequel with extreme anticipation because this book was left so open at the end! I'm also really excited because this book was picked up last June for a film!

Rating: 4.5 stars / 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails