Cool Beans by Erynn Mangum

Mar 31, 2011
Publisher: NavPress
Pub. Date:  April 1st 2010
ISBN:1600067115
Pages: 298 pages
From Goodreads.com:
Everything seems to be going perfectly for Maya Davis: She has a great job at a coffee shop, gets along with her parents, and is happily single. That is until her best friend starts dating Maya’s high school sweetheart.

This funny, heartwarming fiction story by best-selling author Erynn Mangum uses the power of story to challenge teens to discover the relevance of faith in their relationships and their lives.
Erynn Mangum became one of my favorite Christian authors with her Lauren Holbrook series and when I found out she had another series I could not wait to read it!

Cool Beans follows Maya Davis from day to day and we watch her go to work, home, workout, visit her parents, and more. But wait! It may sound boring and "blah", it's really not though. Erynn Mangum has such a funny and light-hearted tone in her writing and it makes this book so incredibly enjoyable. While it isn't a fast-paced "what's going to happen next" kind of book, it is one of those easy going books that makes you happy.

One of the main reasons I love Erynn's books are because of her smart and witty protagonists. Maya is so funny and independent and God-loving, all are qualities that I personally love in my main characters. Her day-to-day story may not sound interesting, but it is. I laughed a lot and worried a lot and that was in just the first half of the book! Maya is not the only lovable character though, every character in this book has Erynn's touch and they all became like family to me.

Because this is a Christian book there is a large element of Christianity in Maya's life. It defines who she is and I love the way it was incorporated. Erynn showed us that not everyone is perfect and made Maya and her relationship with God incredibly relate-able. I found myself taking a step back and setting my priorities straight again. Erynn is not preachy or very "do this or else". The way she weaves her Faith into this story is light, but very powerful.

Overall Erynn Mangum knows how to write a good story and this was no exception. I can't wait to read the rest of this series to see where Maya ends up.

Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails