Jenna & Jonah's Fauxmance by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin

Mar 21, 2011
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: February 1st 2011
ISBN:  080272342X
Pages: 229 pages
Source: Publisher
From Goodreads.com:
Fans of romance don't need to look any further than the fauxmance brewing between teen idols Charlie Tracker and Fielding Withers—known on their hit TV show as Jenna and Jonah, next-door neighbors flush with the excitement of first love. But it's their off-screen relationship that has helped cement their fame, as passionate fans follow their every PDA. They grace the covers of magazines week after week. Their fan club has chapters all over the country. The only problem is their off-screen romance is one big publicity stunt, and Charlie and Fielding can't stand to be in the same room. Still, it's a great gig, so even when the cameras stop rolling, the show must go on, and on, and on. . . . Until the pesky paparazzi blow their cover, and Charlie and Fielding must disappear to weather the media storm. It's not until they're far off the grid of the Hollywood circuit that they realize that there's more to each of them than shiny hair and a winning smile.
The summary of this book is what really caught my eye. It sounded like a classic romantic comedy. I was expecting a lot more than I actually got out of it.

This book is told in alternating points of view of Jenna and Jonah and I'm guessing each writer wrote one character. That said, I found myself not caring much for either character. I liked and disliked both characters at different times. Sometimes I felt they seemed very stuck up and other time I would feel bad for them. Most of the time though I didn't think they were very believable.

The writing of this book was a bit confusing. It seemed like it could be a middle grade book, the small bits of sexual content and language were just holding it back. Because of this it was hard for me to really get into it. I wish they would have written it a little differently so that it didn't have this genre identity confusion.

With that said, it was still a cute book. I got through it rather quickly and had a good chuckle here and there. 

Overall this book was just okay. 

Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars 

1 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting. I've heard good things about this. It is frustrating when books don't quite fit into either genre. Then it seems to alienate both young teen and older teen audiences.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails