The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Mar 8, 2011
Publisher: Point
Pub. Date: December 29th 2009
ISBN: 0545140315
Pages: 285 pages
Source: Publisher
From Goodreads.com:
Love is all you need...or is it? Penny's about to find out in this wonderful debut.
Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows - no more. It's a personal choice...and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born; The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways...which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like...


I was really excited to read this book because I adore(d) Elizabeth's Prom and Prejudice, it was so cute. So, when I received this book I could not wait to dive in!

First off, I am not a big Beatles fan. I know the "basic" songs (i.e. Here Comes the Sun, Let It Be, Hey Jude, etc), so it was a bit difficult to follow the sections of the book. Thankfully there is this thing called the internet that allows me to look up all of the lyrics and songs. Even so, it was a bit of a headache looking them all up. 

The plot was cute and I loved the idea of swearing off boys! (Granted I don't have many to swear off...) Penny's journey creating her club was so fun to read about and Elizabeth Eulberg has such a finesse to her writing. She makes the story so light and funny and the kind of book every girl should read.

Penny was a cute character and a good protagonist. I also liked the other minor characters because they played off each other well. 

The main problem I had with this book (and why I only gave it 3.5 stars) is that it was a tad bit slow and some of the relationships between the characters was a bit unbelievable. I don't want to give the story away, so I'll just say this: some were built too fast and others unbearably slow.

Overall it was a cute book, but  I was hoping for something with a little more "pow!".

Rating: 3.5 stars / 5 stars 

1 comments:

  1. Yeah, I know! I didn't know any Beatles songs when I read this, so it was kind of difficult!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails