Love You Like a Sister by Tom Kepler

Mar 26, 2011
Publisher: Wise Moon Books
Pub. Date: November 1st 2010
ISBN: 0984273417
Pages: 216 pages
Source: Teen Book Scene Tour
From Amazon.com:
If you want something done right, then do it yourself. At least, that's what people say. But does that include having three girlfriends at the same time--and stealing a car? Life is simple for Randy: 1) he loves his girlfriend and 2) he likes his motorcycle. And even if he really likes his motorcycle and only thinks he's pretty sure he loves his girlfriend, it's still the same difference. Easy to know, easy to think about. Then Randy's life gets complicated. In one week he makes friends with a senior girl and her five-year-old sister, his girlfriend dumps him, and his ex's older sister helps him with his math--although, it turns out, she's better at biology. While trying to uncomplicate their lives, Randy and his friends learn what to do when your parents are too busy, too divorced, too drunk, or too dead to help.

I decided to participate in this tour because the book sounded like a great "coming of age" story.

The characters in the books were great. Each one was characterized well and I really felt like I knew who they were. Gwen was probably my favorite though because she had so many problems. Why did this make her my favorite you ask? While I felt like I knew all the characters I didn't feel very connected to them. Gwen was the one person I truly felt something for.

Due to the lack of relationship with myself and the characters it was hard for me to get into the book itself. The writing was good, but the plot line wasn't all that interesting. I needed something more. I think if I had had a better connection with the characters, Randy especially, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

With that being said I think Tom Kepler's idea for this book was great. All of the difficult situations presented between Randy, Gwen, Hope, and Susie are unique and teens can definitely learn from their decisions.

Overall I was not able to finish this book. Tom Kepler is very sweet and I really wanted to like this book, but it didn't work out for me.

Rating: Unfinished



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails