Save as Draft by Cavanaugh Lee

Mar 10, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pub. Date: February 1st 2011
ISBN: 1439190690
Pages: 336 pages
Source: Publisher
From Goodreads.com:
A broken engagement, a broken heart, and endless drafts of unsent emails. A love triangle unfolding in the electronic age illustrates all that can go wrong (and right) by this new form of miscommunication. Told in “electro-epistolary” form, the novel unfolds entirely through emails and text messages. What do these tools of technology mean for love? What happens when age-old courtship rituals fall prey to the ever-changing sensibilities of how we share not only information, but our own hearts?
I haven't read many books in email, text, 'tweet', or any electronic form. It's not that I dislike them, I sometimes feel like they lack too much though. Many times there isn't much characterization and characters tend to be flat. Lack of detail is also another big issue I have with these sorts of books. So, when I received this book I was a bit hesitant after learning it was in this form...


It seems as though Cavanaugh Lee has derived this story from very personal experiences (see here) and I think this really helped this story seem more real. The relationships between the characters was a bit heartbreaking, annoying, funny, and even a bit boring at times, but I feel like it all made a very believable story. 

It is definitely hard to get a real "voice" into a story written in this form, but Cavanaugh Lee did a great job with her characters. I felt like I knew each character personally and it made the story more interesting. Even so, their relationships seemed bland at times and it had me flipping through pages to find the more interesting parts.


Overall I think this was a good debut for Cavanaugh, but not one of my favorites.


Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails