The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Mar 17, 2011
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Pub. Date: March 7th 2011
ISBN: 0547482477
Pages: 293 pages
Source: Publisher
From Goodreads.com:
It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.
When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause.
The cover of this book is absolutely stunning and it is what first made me interested in this book. After reading the summary I wasn't necessarily hooked, but it sounded like it would be pretty good.

The plot of this book seemed a bit similar to previous books I have read, so it wasn't extremely unique. It was not the most fast pace book either and was slow at times. The setting was created beautifully though and I loved how the book alternated between past and present events in Amelia's life.

Amelia and Nathaniel are the main reason I enjoyed this book. Saundra Mitchell created two beautiful characters who I was rooting for until the end. I could not wait to see what would happen with them and because of that I read this book in one setting.

Overall this book was pretty good. The book ends in a bit of a cliffhanger and I'm excited to see what happens next.

Rating: 3.5 stars / 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. It's a bummer you didn't like this book more but I am so glad that the two main characters are great. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book. It is really well written. I'm excited to see what happens next too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails