Wish by Alexandra Bullen

Mar 7, 2011
Publisher: Point
Pub. Date:  January 1st 201
ISBN:  0545139058
Pages: 336 pages
Source: Publisher
From Goodreads.com:
For broken-hearted Olivia Larsen, nothing can change the fact that her twin sister, Violet, is gone... until a mysterious, beautiful gown arrives on her doorstep. The dress doesn't just look magical; it is magical. It has the power to grant her one wish, and the only thing Olivia wants is her sister back.
With Violet again by her side, both girls get a second chance at life. And as the sisters soon discover, they have two more dresses-and two more wishes left. But magic can't solve everything, and Olivia is forced to confront her ghosts to learn how to laugh, love, and live again.
In a breathtaking debut from Alexandra Bullen, WISH asks the question: If you could have anything, what would you wish for?
I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book. The cover is beautiful and the synopsis sounded promising though. I decided to go in with an open mind and I found that it was just okay.

The idea of a magic seamstress was creative and I loved the idea. I thought that Olivia was definitely a good choice to give the dresses too. However, the story dragged on and on and I found myself growing tired and bored. This is definitely not a gripping story, but it had a wonderful moral.

Olivia was your average protagonist. Violet was the average outspoken character and she did not seem like anything special. I wish that the author had built a better relationship around the two because it would have made me more sympathetic. I am not a heartless person who doesn't care if someones closest relation dies, so don't get me wrong, it's just that Violet seemed to be extremely bossy and a know it all which made me annoyed with her at times. I felt like Olivia idolized her sister so much that she would do anything to please her. It didn't seem like a truly healthy relationship. As for the other characters, they weren't characterized very well and I didn't feel connected to any of them.

Overall this book was okay. I felt it was slow and I really wish the characters had been written better. I will say that it had a wonderful moral and readers could take a lot away from it though.

Rating: 3 stars /  5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails