Cloaked by Alex Flinn

Apr 1, 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pub. Date: February 8th 2011
ISBN: 0060874228
Pages: 256 pages
Source: Publisher
From Goodreads.com:

I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.
It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.
There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.
Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked.
I enjoyed Alex Flinn's book Beastly and thought A Kiss in Time was merely okay. I wasn't sure what to expect from Cloaked, but the summary definitely sparked my interest.

The book combines a variety of fairy tales, most of which are not widely known. I liked that Alex Flinn wanted to not only be unique, but also shed some light on these lesser known fairy tales. The plot as a whole was nothing amazing, at times it seemed to drag on. It wasn't a "sit on the edge of my seat" book, but it was a cute story.

None of the characters really interested me. After finishing the book I honestly forgot about them. I really wished they had been better characterized because they did not do anything for me. The biggest thing that interested me was who Johnny would end up with, it didn't end the way I wanted though.

Overall the story had a promising premise, but it fell a bit flat. I enjoyed seeing the modern retelling of the fairy tales, but as a whole it was not that great.

Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars

1 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review! I recently got this at the library, as I enjoyed Alex's A Kiss in Time (You should read it if you have the chance to- it is a cute read). Hopefully I will enjoy it more than you did, as I always dislike it went the book isn’t as good as the premise.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails