The Daughters by Joanna Philbin

Apr 18, 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: November 2nd 2010
ISBN: 0316049018
Pages: 240 pages
Source: Publisher
From Goodreads.com:
The only daughter of supermodel Katia Summers, witty and thoughtful Lizzie Summers likes to stick to the sidelines. The sole heir to Metronome Media and daughter of billionaire Karl Jurgensen, outspoken Carina Jurgensen would rather climb mountains than social ladders. Daughter of chart-topping pop icon Holla Jones, stylish and sensitive Hudson Jones is on the brink of her own music breakthrough. By the time freshman year begins, unconventional-looking Lizzie Summers has come to expect fawning photographers and adoring fans to surround her gorgeous supermodel mother.


When I first saw this book I thought it would be another cheesy story about high-class, spoiled teenage girls. I can say that I was completely wrong. Sure the girls are very "well to do", but they are very relatable.

The plot doesn't seem very unique, but I've actually never read anything about something like this. Joanna Philbin gave the story such an easy-going and fun 'air'. Reading this book was like eating chocolate, very easy and very enjoyable.

The characters were all (like I said earlier) easy to relate to. They seemed liked a friend and I felt like I really knew them. There were some things about Lizzie that I did not like though. I won't go into detail for fear of spoiling the book, but she got on my nerves a few times. 

I went back and forth trying to decide what rating to give it. I usually have the rating in my mind right after I read it, so it was odd for me to have to question it. Ultimately I decided on 3.5 stars because while it wasn't the best book I have ever read, but it was not bad either.

Overall this was a cute read and I recommend it to younger kids (middle school). Although the girls are Freshman, it was still enjoyable to me to read, I just think the younger crowd could get more out of it.

Rating: 3.5 stars / 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails