Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Jun 9, 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Pub. Date:  February 15th 2011
ISBN: 0062002325
Pages: 453 pages
Source: Bought
From Goodreads.com
This debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action.

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember
 
Well I guess I'm a bit late with this review, it seems the "fandamonium" has died down since it has been out for awhile now. I actually read this a couple of months ago, but decided to review it because it is definitely a worthwhile book.

I had began to "lose faith" in paranormal books because they seemed to constantly reflect one another. So, after hearing the fantabulous reviews for ANGELFIRE I decided I had to pick it up. CAM did not let me down.

Between the awesome fight scenes and the relationships I could not wait to see what would happen next. Unlike most of the annoying, cookie cutter, "oh I'm so desperate" female protagonists, Ellie was a great protagonist. Sure she had to be saved at some points, but she was really a strong character and used her brain. Will was an okay character though, nothing special.

The whole plot of ANGELFIRE was okay. While it was completely unique and an interesting idea, I think it was dragged out. I found myself flipping pages looking for the "good parts". Sometimes its nice to have a long book, but in this case I didn't care for it.

Overall this was a refreshing paranormal novel and I cannot wait to see what CAM has in store for us next.

Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars

1 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I thought Ellie was a refreshing change from the "oh, rescue me you strong man!" annoying protagonists as well, and I liked the fact she thought for herself. I also agree it maybe felt a bit dragged out, but I'm hoping the next book will be less so. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails