Blog Files: Second Book Blues

Jun 17, 2011

I'm sure you've all had the book that just left you at a loss for words. You realized it could possibly be the best book ever, and then you hear there will be another book! I'm sure by that time you're jumping up and down for joy, counting down the days, stalking the authors website for any teaser lines, pictures, ect.

And then it comes out.

And you read it.

And are like "WTH?!"

Because it is not at all what you expected. In fact, it probably ruined the 'series' for you. Because it was lame and felt very half-butted. And you begin to wonder who really wrote the first book in that series. Or maybe you think that the author got a bit "big-headed" and felt that they could just half-butt the book and still make a buttload of money (which they probably did).

Well now that that very long 'intro' has gotten you thinking about that moment, let's talk about it. It sucks doesn't it?! I've had this happen to me a couple of times, and it seems to be happening even more now. A lot of times I feel somewhat bad for the author because the first one was SOO good, yeah it'd be hard to do it a second time. But then I realize, if they can do it once, why not again?

For awhile there this happened quite frequently, but thankfully it hasn't happened lately.

I don't know what else to really say because it's not something I can change, but it is something that should be changed. I think that authors should just really take the time they need to write a good book. It seems they are on such a time limit lately, maybe that is why they aren't always the best books? At the same time, it's nice they have deadlines because it would take FOREVER to get books out sometimes...

What do you think? Have you experienced Second Book Blues? What do you think about authors time limits?

5 comments:

  1. I had a WTH? moment when I read New Moon, the second book in the Twilight series. It wasn't until after I finished the entire series that I appreciated the second book. But still it's my least favorite of the four.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh you just summarised what I've always thought about second book blues! I think I felt that way with New Moon (like Joy said above), it paled in comparison with Twilight. I guess it's a common thing for a book series...the more awesome the first book, the harder it is for the second book to live up to expectations!

    Thanks for stopping by. Following too!

    Felicia @ A Novel Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if it's a time-limit thing, or more of a "all books must be series" kind of thing. Lots of authors feel pressured to "keep going" when they've actually already written a stand-alone, and would prefer to move on to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bigger to me than the "WTH" moments is the absolute nervousness I feel before I start a second book in a series. I actually get nervous and my heart will speed up for a minute or two. I'm always so nervous that I'll be disappointed...but that nervousness usually goes away once I get immersed in the plot of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had that with the last book of some trilogies, which was extremely disappointing.

    What's hard is that some writers work for several years on the first book of a series, then are told by their publisher that they have to produce the next book a year later. So, their books sometimes suffer in quality.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails