My Double Life by Janette Rallison

Jun 20, 2011
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Pub. Date:  May 13th 2010
ISBN: 0399252622
Pages: 265 pages
Source: Bought
From Goodreads.com

Her whole life, Alexia Garcia has been told that she looks just like pop star Kari Kingsley, and one day when Alexia's photo filters through the Internet, she's offered a job to be Kari's double. This would seem like the opportunity of a lifetime, but Alexia's mother has always warned her against celebrities.
Rebelliously, Alexia flies off to L.A. and gets immersed in a celebrity life. Not only does she have to get used to getting anything she wants, she romances the hottest lead singer on the charts, and finds out that her own father is a singing legend. Through it all, Alexia must stay true to herself, which is hard to do when you are pretending to be somebody else!
I adored Janette Rallison's MY FAIR GODMOTHER and enjoyed MY UNFAIR GODMOTHER and knew that I had to get my hands on even more of her books. They are hilarious and make you feel all happy inside. I decided on MY DOUBLE LIFE because it not only had the highest ratings on Goodreads, but also seemed like a classic Rallison.

If you live in the U.S. and were born around 1993, then I'm sure you've seen that Disney movie. You know which one I'm talking about, the one with a celebrity who happens to look exactly like a small town girl and they switch places. Oh and Justin Timberlake is in it. Well I bring this up for a good reason (no I'm not being sponsored by Disney to plug their old movies that get no publicity anymore), if you read the summary of this book it seems very similar to that movie. And while reading it it was hard for me not to think about the movie. There are quite a few differences, but my mind continually drifted to the movie.

The plot idea is not that unique, but Rallison does put her own spin to it. There are a few details that I haven't seen in previous books/said movie and it made it a little more interesting. I still felt myself dragging through this book though. I don't know if it was because I disliked how similar I thought it was to a movie , or I was just used to her "fractured fairytales", but it did not amuse me or interest me as much as I thought it would.

The characters were alright. They were not anything amazing, but I did enjoy Alexia. She was just your average small town girl, looking for acceptance from certain family members, independence, and a hot guy. Rallison wrote her character in a way that really did interest me though.

Overall I was disappointed with this book, I was expecting something a lot better. If you have never seen the said movie, or are not bothered by how similar a book is to something then I recommend you read this. While I did not enjoy it that much, I know that others will.

Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars
By the way if you're still curious as to what that movie is called it's Model Behavior.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails