Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Jun 16, 2011
Publisher: Atheneum
Pub. Date: August 31st 2010
ISBN: 1442402008
Pages: 543 pages
Source: Library
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.
I did not want to read this book. The cover guy turned me off, the summary didn't sound all that interesting to me, and the size of the book was shocking. Why would I read that big of a book when it didn't even seem like something that would interest me? Now I'm sure you're wondering why on earth I did decide to pick up this book... Well great reviews from bloggers and friends definitely caught my attention and ultimately made me set aside my past indifference's and read NEVERMORE.

The beginning of the book isn't that great. I actually set it down multiple times within the first 5-10 chapters. It was a bit slow and Isobel was being a bit obnoxious. After that though it really picked up. It wasn't so interesting that I could not put it down, but it was good. The plot kept me turning pages and wanting to find out more. The whole mystery behind Varen and Poe was well written.

Like I said above, Isobel was a bit obnoxious. I just wanted to smack her. She got better as the book went on though which I really liked. Most of the time in series, the "dumb female protagonist" doesn't grow much in the first book. Kelly Creagh has broken that stereotype though. She also has broken the stereotype with Varen. Well, let me just say I am not into goths. I'm sure a lot of you aren't either, but I dare you to read this book and feel the same way about Varen after.

The main thing that bothered me about NEVERMORE was the length. I say it time and time again (I've actually only said it once I think), books that need not be long shouldn't be. I found a lot of times I would be bored waiting for something to happen with the main mystery and realized some of those times weren't needed. It was a great book,  but could have been a bit shorter.

Overall this was a great, fresh paranormal/mystery and I enjoyed it. I also would like to see how you do with my little dare (see above)...

Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars
 

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the length got me on this one a bit. I found myself dragging my feet to get through it, even though (unlike you) I was originally excited to read it.

    Jessi @ Reading in the Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this, as I've seen some really great reviews for it. My library doesn't have it, so this will be one that I'll have to think about splurging on. I'm hoping that you can get it paperback. lol. And I really don't like it, when books just drag on and are long for the sake of being long, when they could be cut shorter and some things omitted. So, I'm like you on that note, thank you for such an honest and refreshing review.

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on the cover... so creepy, though definitely a bit like Poe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails