What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Jun 6, 2011
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers Group
Pub. Date:  May 10th 2011
ISBN: 0670012947
Pages: 402 pages
Source: Bought
From Goodreads.com:
In the past two years, Mclean Sweet has moved four times. At each stop, she assumes a new persona, but it never quite works. Whether she's an effervescent cheerleader or an intense drama queen, nothing can permanently dispel the turmoil and rage at her mother since her parents' divorce. Sarah Dessen's novel about a teenager and her restaurant manager father captures the vulnerability that young people often experience after the dissolution of their family. A compelling story; strong characterization; and with a touch of romance.


Warning: This review is very unorganized, please forgive me.

Sarah Dessen is the reason I started reading as much as I do now. She showed me that there are books that actually interest me. So of course I have read every one of her books and had to get this one too.

To be frank, I was disappointed with this book. It is nowhere near as good as her others and I think this is probably at the bottom of the list when it comes to her books.

Let me take a step back and tell you why I love her books: I love her books for the true-life teen hardships and above all- the romance. The relationships are always so beautiful and interesting to watch unfold.  


With that said I felt like the romantic relationship in this book wasn't anything special. I almost felt like it was forgotten about at times. I didn't care much for Dave or Mclean. Neither of them was that interesting and both are characters I will soon forget.  


A lot of this book was predictable too. I could tell what would happen after every page. Sure, Dessen's books aren't known for being suspenseful or anything, but it would be nice to have a surprise here and there. 


On a happier note, I did love Opal and Gus (Mclean's father). Opal was such a fun and upbeat character, while Gus gave the story something special. The entire story had a lot of potential, but it just didn't do it for me.


Overall I wasn't happy with this book, nonetheless it is still a good book when one doesn't look at her past books. That's why I gave it 4 stars. If you have not ever read a book by Sarah Dessen, then I'm sure you'll find this enjoyable, but I highly recommend checking out one of her other novels.


Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Interesting review. I loved all of Sarah Dessen's books, however, I have not yet read this. After your review, I'm unsure if I want to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I read this review. I'm a Dessen fan but some of her books don't stick with me, Like This Lullaby. Couldn't get into it at all. I didn't read Lock and Key because of some reviews, I think I might give this one a miss too. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails