The Mortal Instruments Series (1-4)

Jul 19, 2011

So I decided that today I wanted to review The Mortal Instruments Series. Originally I wasn't going to review this series because it seems to be so popular already and I don't like to review books like that (ex. The Hunger games). But I decided I would anyways.

The first book was merely okay. It seemed like it could have been squished and put into the second book though. I felt very bored and probably wouldn't have continued the series, but I had already bought all of the books so I decided to read on.

The second book was definitely better than the first. It still wasn't the "amazingness" that I expected though. It definitely has some crazy twists too... At this point I felt like these books were just leading up to a bigger book and it was frustrating because not only could these first two books have been shorter, but they could have been a lot better.

Finally we reach the third book. Which actually does something. Was I surprised? No. Was I happy at least? Yes. This one was actually good, I enjoyed reading this book and couldn't wait to see what happened next.

So now for the fourth book. I felt like this one was good, but not as good as the third. I found myself really starting to fall in love with the characters in this book though, so it was still good. I am actually excited to read the next book now and have really become a fan.

The characters in all these books were pretty good. I didn't really care for Clary at all though, she seemed like the typical helpless protagonist. She was pretty, "smart", and seemed to be the fascination of all paranormal boys. It was annoying and I found myself disliking her constantly. I am definitely a victim of Jace's charm though. He's funny and good looking, what more could you want? I did find myself a bit annoyed though at his seemingly constant stupidity.

As for the other characters, I loved some and hated some. Some grew on me more throughout the series and some became pure torture to read about. My feelings towards them are really up in the air.

Overall this is a pretty good series. If I was just basing it off the 3rd and 4th book I'd say its close to great, but the first two books were pretty boring and a bad start to a good series. The whole series is nothing spectacular, but pretty good. It's got a unique storyline and some interesting characters. It can definitely get boring though...

What do you think of this series? Have you read it?

5 comments:

  1. Surprised you thought the 4th book was better than the first two. I thought it was really unnecessary and just a reason to add some make out scenes which happens randomly. I also disliked the fact that the 4th was just randomly made and could have finished at the 3rd. I mean if you're going to give us something new, I'd expect it to be bigger than the previous three but it was just short and very random at times. I don't know, just didn't do it for me. Although I really enjoyed the first three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the third book was my enjoyable (I love that one so much!) but I think the fourth was a little disappointing for me, and I didn't think it was good as 1, 2 or 3. Still, despite finding the first two boring, I'm glad you did like some of this series. Will you be reading books 5 and 6?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not a fan of the first book at all. Plus it was hinting at an unsavory relationship that grossed me out. But after reading rave reviews and a few spoilers on Goodreads I was convinced to keep reading. I thought books 2 and 3 were ok. Didn't see the twist coming in book 2 at all. Overall, I was not impressed enough to read book 4. So this series ended for me after City of Glass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the first book but haven't really been inspired to read it yet, I guess! I keep hearing some good things, so I eventually will. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny that you mention the first two novels being not so great because they are the only ones I've read! I want to read the other two but there are so many others before it. Glad you loved them though and it's made you a fan. I'll definitely be getting to them soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails