Scott Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt

Jul 5, 2011
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Pub. Date: March 1st 2011
ISBN: 1599904985
Pages: 288 pages
Source: Won
From Goodreads.com:

According to her guidance counselor, fifteen-year-old Payton Gritas needs a focus object-an item to concentrate her emotions on. It's supposed to be something inanimate, but Payton decides to use the thing she stares at during class: Sean Griswold's head. They've been linked since third grade (Griswold-Gritas-it's an alphabetical order thing), but she's never really known him.
The focus object is intended to help Payton deal with her father's newly diagnosed multiple sclerosis. And it's working. With the help of her boy-crazy best friend Jac, Payton starts stalking-er, focusing on-Sean Griswold . . . all of him! He's cute, he shares her Seinfeld obsession (nobody else gets it!) and he may have a secret or two of his own.
In this sweet story of first love, Lindsey Leavitt seamlessly balances heartfelt family moments, spot-on sarcastic humor, and a budding young romance.
I actually avoided this book for awhile. I thought the cover seemed like the book would be for a younger demographic. After I won the book it sat on my shelf for awhile, then one day I decided I wanted to read a fun contemp. book and picked this up.

First off, the whole idea of the story seemed so silly to me. Even as I was reading I couldn't help but think it was ridiculous. I think that is what really made it work. The idea of choosing someone's head to help you with your problems is so unique. Lindsey Leavitt is absolutely hilarious too. Her humor shined through her characters and I found myself enjoying this book much more than I expected.

Like I said above, Lindsey Leavitt is so funny. I think the best thing about the book is how light-hearted and funny it felt. Sure there were the more "deep" parts, but overall I had a great time reading this book. It was like watching your favorite comedy, or talking to someone who just makes you happy.

All of the characters were wonderful. I honestly cannot remember the last time (if ever) I have said that. So, big props to Lindsey with creating wonderfully relatable characters that were entertaining and interesting.

There isn't really anything bad I can say about this book. While it wasn't my favorite book ever, it was definitely a great read. I hope/wish there is a sequel though, the ending was so sudden to me.

Overall this was a great book and I highly recommend it. I can't really put my finger on what I liked, so just go and read it. I'm sure you won't regret it!

Rating: 4.5 stars / 5 stars





1 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too. I don't usually read contemporary YA, but something about this grabbed me. And even though there was something absurd about it (which made it so funny) it nevertheless came across as very real. The people seemed real. I believed their emotions.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails