Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt

Jul 7, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub. Date: July 12th 2011
ISBN: 144241314X
Pages: 320 pages
Source: Publisher
From Goodreads.com:
On the last day of her junior year, Hannah's boyfriend Sebastian dumped her. Facing a summer of loneliness, Hannah turns to her best friend Ava for comfort. Ava does what BFFs do: she stays by Hannah's side...until it's time for Ava to head up to Maine for the summer. Also left behind is Ava's boyfriend, Noah, who's such a great guy he gets Hannah a job at the diner he waits tables at. Slowly, Hannah comes out of her funk thanks to Noah's good conversation and their fun times at the diner. But things get complicated when their friendship turns into attraction--and one night, into a passionate kiss.

The novel opens on the first day of senior year; the day Hannah is going to see Ava, Sebastian, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, everyone is paired up once again, but not the way you might think...
I have read one or two other books by Lauren Barnholdt, but I did not enjoy them. The fact that I am unable to recall the names of them is pretty bad. They weren't horrible though, just not my cup of tea. I decided to give this one a shot though because the premise sounded really promising. 

Lauren Barnholdt has definitely "redeemed" herself in this book. She takes one of the most scandalous subjects and handles it very well. I fell in love with her writing and found myself unable to stop reading. I was definitely at that time where I was about to give up on Barnholdt's books, but after reading this one I may have to go back and re-read some of her others, to see if I missed something.

Barnholdt jumps from the past to the present, and this could have been a disaster. Sometimes it gets confusing or annoying, but it really worked for this story. You were able to get the background to the events that were happening and I found that it was the perfect way to write this story.

Hannah is such a great character. There were times when I became very annoyed with her, but most of the time I sympathized with all of her actions. I really enjoyed reading about all of the other characters, major and minor. I was able to really connect with all of them. 

The only real complaint that I can think of is the ending. I don't think Barnholdt is known for making sequels, but the way this one ended makes me really hope she will make an exception.

Overall this was a wonderful contemporary story that I recommend you all go out and buy!

Rating: 4.5 stars / 5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I did like this book although I'm never a fan of cheating, but I think it was handled decently enough as there were repercussions. The time switch back and forth was done rather well and really helped to set the tone of what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any book writen by Lauren Barnholdt. But I want to give this a try. It seems great. Great reivew! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really did feel like a summer book. In the end, you could sense not only the change of some relationships but also the change into a new school year and new phase of life even. I think a lot of people, both young and older adults, will be able to feel for the different characters. This book kept me interested until the very end, and I had a great time reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails