Sea by Heidi R. Kling

Sep 15, 2011
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Pub. Date: June 10th 2010
ISBN: 0399251634
Pages: 336 pages
Source:Won
Still haunted by nightmares of her mother's death, fifteen-year-old Sienna Jones reluctantly travels to Indonesia with her father's relief team to help tsunami orphans with their post traumatic stress disorder-something Sienna knows a lot about. Since her mother's plane went missing over the Indian Ocean three years before, Sienna doesn't do anything if it involves the ocean or planes, so this trip is a big step forward.
But the last thing she expects is to fall for Deni, a brooding Indonesian boy who lives at the orphanage, and just so happens to be HOT. When Deni hears a rumor that his father may be alive, Sienna doesn't think twice about running away with him to the epicenter of the disaster. Unfortunately, what they find there could break both their hearts.
A compelling summer romance, Sea marks the arrival of a stunning new voice in YA.
I had not heard much about SEA, except from the person I actually won it from. She raved about it and still does. My interest was definitely high when I finally got around to picking it up.

I don't read many books about people who travel to foreign countries, but when I do it's never to countries struck with poverty. Or those that just had a natural disaster occur. In a somewhat sick way I loved reading about Sienna's travels and findings in the country. Even though these people had just had a disaster occur, their country was still beautiful. I loved reading about the people and their culture too.

Sienna was a wonderful protagonist. She wasn't annoying, but just... right. I can't really describe it, but I really enjoyed reading about her journey's. I also loved all of the supporting characters. They were fun to read about and really had meaning. The one person I did not care much for was Deni. Obviously I should have liked him a lot more too. He was just... well, annoying. I found his actions and just him in general obnoxious. The entire time I was hoping for a different outcome.

I also want to say that I found the ending of the book entirely predictable. There was something before the end that I was surprised by, I did not like what it was though. And then the ending was something I saw coming right from the start. It was kind of... annoying.

Overall I really loved the setting of the book, it was definitely the stand out feature of SEA. Although I did have some disappointments, I still recommend this book. It is an easy read and quite enjoyable.

Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails