Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Jan 23, 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins / Balzer + Bray
Pub. Date: January 24th 2012
ISBN: 0062071130
Pages: 370
Source: Publisher

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


I think that Harper Collins has some of the most beautiful book covers I've seen, this one included... Beyond the beautiful cover lies a wonderful story that really surprised me.

Persephone and Hades. That is what many people have compared this story to. While that myth is mentioned, it's not the main one. It's probably one that many of you have not heard of either, I would mention it but it would likely give a lot away. So you'll have to read the book to find out what the myth is...

Beyond the mythology that Brodi Ashton used, the story is very unique. I loved the whole idea of the Everneath and the Forfeits. Ashton kept me interested not only with her 'world', but the way she wrote about it.  Page by page I learned a little something about the Everneath, there really was a kind of mystery about all of the things happening that kept my interest. Ashton definitely knows how to keep a secret and keep a reader reading.

Nikki was a decent protagonist. I didn't love her, but I didn't dislike her either. I think she showed a lot of growth throughout the novel, but I'm excited to see even more growth in future books. Cole was confusing. I loved him and I hated him. He was such a frustrating character because I feel like I was supposed to have one feeling about him, yet I had two the entire time. Above all though I really sympathized for him. As for Jack, Jules, and all of the other characters not mentioned in the summary, I'll let you find out all about them when you read the book.

Overall I really, really enjoyed this story. It is definitely one of my favorite books of the year so far, and I am so completely bummed out that the sequel won't be out until 2013. The story itself made me want the sequel, but the ending makes me want the sequel now!

Rating: 4.5 stars / 5 stars
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails