The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Jan 26, 2012
Publisher: Greenwillow
Pub. Date: September 20th 2011
ISBN:  0062026488
Pages: 424
Source: Library
Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.
I didn't really know what to expect when I picked this book up. All I knew was that it had gotten really great reviews.

Rae Carson did such a wonderful job with this book. The world she created and the people and things she filled it with were incredible. Her creativity was jaw dropping. The whole idea of the Godstone was kind of confusing, but really interesting at the same time. The kingdom she moves to, the place she's taken to, the people she meets and sees, and all of the details in between were so well written. I could not stop reading this book.

Elisa is such a sweet main character. She definitely got on my nerves at times, but she also really grew by the end of the story. The most difficult thing for me to wrap my head around was that she was only sixteen years old. It was difficult mainly because everyone around her seemed so much older, and yet they acted like her. Or maybe she just acted mature. Either way I think that Elisa should have been written as a year or two older, it would just make more sense to me. As for the other characters, there were some I loved and some I hated.

The one thing that I hated the most was all of the loss of lives in the book. Obviously I won't say when, where, why, and who, but some of the loss' were so sad. I wished the book could have gone a different way at times, but nevertheless it made for a great story and really helped Elisa become who she was at the end of the story.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and am excited for the sequel.

Rating: 4.5 stars / 5 stars



1 comments:

  1. Great review! I've heard so many wonderful things about this novel. What I want to know is if this was a hurt so good sort of loss of lives or not. Glad the main character rocked!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails