The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

Jan 2, 2012
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Pub. Date: November 15th 2011
ISBN: 1442422017
Pages: 323 pages
Source: Bought
In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.
Wow. I honestly did not expect to fall in head over heels for this book when I first picked it up. Kimberly Derting has crafted yet another unique and captivating story with THE PLEDGE.

Lately books have begun to be so repetitive. First is was all vampire books, then dystopians, then dystopians in space, then dystopians with genetic mutations, then dystopians with classes, ect. To be honest I have grown tired of it and when I read the summary of this book I was a bit wary at first. I really enjoyed Kimberly Derting's other novels though, so I decided to give THE PLEDGE a try.

As cliche as it may be, from the very start I was taken by this book. I loved it from the beginning to the end, and I about cried when I finished the last page. I need more!

The idea of languages separating the classes was something I had never heard of before. At times it seemed a bit cheesy to me, but I think that is what makes it such a good story. It is something so simple that seems like something that could possibly become real.

Charlie is a wonderful heroine who truly embodies the essence of a heroine. She is strong, smart, caring, and yet not perfect. I grew to love her and her family, her friends and their families, and everyone else that Charlie grew to love. The alternate points of view were perfectly placed and the story and characters would not have been as well rounded without those chapters.

I can't say much more without spoiling the story and sounding like a crazy fangirl, but I will say that for those of you who are unsure as to whether you should pick up this book, pick it up. I am almost certain you will not regret it. Just know this: the date for the sequel is set for 2013. It killed me when I found out, so a fare warning to all of you.

Rating: 5 stars / 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I loved Derting's previous books as well and have been really looking to reading this one. It sounds so awesome (the language part looks cool) and Charlie seems like a pretty awesome character as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Derting's Body Finder books and I'll read pretty much everything she writes. The Pledge was a great story with interesting enough characters. Great review. Glad to hear you enjoyed it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too katie! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure I was going to like this one either - for the same reasons you gave - but I ended up really enjoying it. The language thing was unique and definitely my favorite part of the story. Of course, now I am waiting very impatiently for the sequel because I HAVE to know what's going to happen next!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails