Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Jan 16, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pub. Date: January 3rd 2012
ISBN: 006207203X
Pages: 384
Source: Publisher, Bought

 Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.

I didn't really know what to expect from this book when I initially picked it up. The summary sounded good and I had read a lot of great reviews, but I didn't know if it would "do it" for me.

This book was fantastic. I loved every minute of it and stayed up all night reading it. Everything from the interesting plot to the wonderful characters. Veronica Rossi did an incredible job with this novel!

The whole idea of the Realms, Reverie, and the "outside" was something that I thought was pretty unique. Top it off with the Aether (whatever that is), and some of the crazy cannibals, and you've got yourself an intense plot with a lot of dynamic. Throughout the story Aria faces so many different obstacles and they were so well paced that you barely realize you're 100, 200, 384 pages in. It was non-stop adventure.

Aria and Perry were such great main characters. On the surface they are quite different, and honestly underneath they are pretty different too. Watching them grow as individuals and as people added so much more to this story. I was afraid it would be the standard "sheltered girl in a great society falls in love with the boy from the outside and they hate each other but then end up marrying and having a bunch of babies" storyline, but it wasn't. It was crafted so well and I really enjoyed it.

Overall this book is definitely one of my all time favorites and I am dying for the sequel!

Rating: 5 stars / 5 stars


4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see you enjoy this one because I really liked it as well! The world created in it was indeed interesting and I liked how the romance between Aria and Perry wasn't as how you worried it would be as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I'm so happy that so many people besides me have enjoyed this book!

      Delete
  2. I keep meaning to try this author out but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm going to have to change that. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this novel too. I was glad the author didn't just make Aria change but Perry shifted as well. Great review! Like you, I'm dying for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails