Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Feb 2, 2012
Publisher: Egmont USA
Pub. Date: June 14th 2011
ISBN: 1606841440
Pages: 400
Source: Library

One hour to rewrite the past . . .
 
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.


The summary of HOURGLASS didn't sound that great to me. I knew that a lot of people had raved about this book, but to me it just didn't sound that good. That's why it took me so long to finally pick it up. I'm kind of upset that I waited so long, but I'm also happy. At least now I don't have to wait a full year for the sequel...

Let's start with Emerson. She didn't wow me or anything, in fact I don't know if I really liked her even. I think overall she was an average character and has a lot of room to grow in the sequel. Michael was, well he was the average male character that you're supposed to "swoon" over. I just didn't feel that close or connected to these two main characters, and I think that is the main and only drawback to the story. I'm not sure if I just didn't like the characters, or if I didn't like the lack of growth. The relationship between the two was sweet, but I felt it was cheesy at times too. It just didn't seem very natural, if that makes sense.

Now that we have that out of the way let's talk about the plot. I have read books about going back in time, saving the world, ect., but not like the way it happen in this story. I obviously can't say much, but it was really unique. I loved the spin Myra McEntire put on time travel, and the mystery she added. McEntire did a wonderrful wonderful job with the mystery and the twists she added. Although I saw a couple of them coming, there were certainly bigger ones that I was surprised about.

I think the best thing about HOURGLASS was the writing. Even though I didn't connect with the characters, the way McEntire wrote the story had me glued to the book. I could not wait to see what would happen next! I never found myself bored or hoping to get over the "boring part". This was a great debut novel, it showed her amazing talent for writing and her nack for creativity.

Overall I am excited to see what happens in the sequel, especially with the main characters. I know that this probably one of the most confusing reviews you've ever read, me saying I didn't like the characters and their relationship was cheesy, yet McEntire wrote a wonderful story and is a great storyteller. Trust me I'm kind of confused too. Don't let my discontent with the characters discourage you from reading this book though. It was a great story, I just really feel the characters have a lot of room for improvement.

Rating: 4 stars / 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I understand how you can not completely love the characters and still enjoy the story. I've read a few books like that too. Glad you enjoyed this one overall - I'm intrigued by the plot, so may give it a go! Great review, thanks :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been putting off buying this one because although I absolutely adore the cover the blurb didn't really grasp my attention either. I'm glad you enjoyed this overall, i'm sure at some point I will get round to picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Nice review. I think I'll definitely check it out!!
    - Shanise @ Camisado Mind

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails