New Girl by Paige Harbison

Mar 5, 2012
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Pub. Date: January 31st 2012
ISBN: 0373210426
Pages: 304
Source: Publisher (ebook)

They call me 'New Girl'...

Ever since I arrived at exclusive, prestigious Manderly Academy, that’s who I am. New girl. Unknown. But not unnoticed—because of her.

Becca Normandy—that’s the name on everyone’s lips. The girl whose picture I see everywhere. The girl I can’t compare to. I mean, her going missing is the only reason a spot opened up for me at the academy. And everyone stares at me like it’s my fault.

Except for Max Holloway—the boy whose name shouldn’t be spoken. At least, not by me. Everyone thinks of him as Becca’s boyfriend but she’s gone, and here I am, replacing her. I wish it were that easy. Sometimes, when I think of Max, I can imagine how Becca’s life was so much better than mine could ever be.

And maybe she’s still out there, waiting to take it back.

Well well well, look what I found. This is one of the best mysteries, without anything paranormal or supernatural, I have read in a long time. I have not read any books by Paige Harbison before, but if this book is anything like her previous works, I must read them now!

The book didn't start off extremely swimmingly for me. It definitely caught my attention, but there were a couple times in the first 80-100 pages that I almost put the book down. I'm very glad I resisted the urge.

After the first 100 pages the book really picks up. The whole mystery starts to "come alive" and so do the characters. 'New girl', as she is referred to throughout the book, was a very likeable character. For some reason I always have a hard time liking the protagonists, but I enjoyed reading about her. She was smart (for the most part) and her day to day life was anything but ordinary, and it made for a great story. I loved the alternating points of view too. Going from 'new girl' to Becca was interesting because it really gave me an idea of who Becca was. Instead of just taking everyone's word for it, I really got to know Becca's character and that was vital to the story.

Paige Harbison did a great job with this story. She created this overly dramatic story, and made it something completely entertaining and even believable. I was glued to the story and right when I thought I knew what was going to happen, Harbison surprised me time and time again. It's not everyday that I come across such a well written story, and I'm definitely not going to forget it!

Overall I really recommend this story. It's a great contemporary mystery that keeps you guessing and turning pages.

Rating: 4.5 stars / 5 stars



1 comments:

  1. At first I wasn't too sure about this book but now that I've read your review I really want to read it! I'm always looking for a good mystery that doesn't have any paranormal or supernatural elements. I'm going to have to read this one now! Thanks for sharing your review :)

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails