Until I Die by Amy Plum

Jun 18, 2012

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Pub. Date: May 8th 2012
ISBN: 0062004042
Pages: 357
Source: Library
Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.
As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.
In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.
I wasn't sure if I would continue the series after reading the first book in this series. It was good and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't that good and I had a couple issues with it. I wasn't sure what I should read though and decided to pick this one up, I'm kind of unsure how I feel about it though. I should warn you now, this review is an "almost" rant so if you'd rather not read that you should skip this review.

First off, I don't really like the characters in this book. I can't really pinpoint one thing that I don't like, other than that I do not connect with them. In the first book I didn't have a problem with anyone but Vincent, I enjoyed reading through Kate's eyes and I adored the whole "family" they have. This time I just don't know what happened.

One of the things I loved most about the first book was the beautiful Parisian setting. Amy Plum did such a wonderful job of making me feel like I was in Paris, all of the descriptions were very well written. That was in the first book though. This time around I continually forgot they were in another country, the only time I remembered was when someone spoke in French. Again I don't know what happened, maybe I was too busy trying to find a connection with a character, but I missed that element this time around.

Another thing that bugged me was the different mythological twists in the story. Typically I am a HUGE fan of mythology in books, but I just did not enjoy reading about this "paranormal mythology", as the synopsis calls it. I know that in general mythology is far fetched (Athena coming out of Zeus' head for example), but this stuff was just really weird and I did not really even follow it. Maybe its because it is "paranormal mythology", maybe it's because I just didn't understand it, either way I was not a fan.

I continue to go on and on about everything I didn't like, and everything I didn't get out of the book, so let's change it up. The one thing I liked about UNTIL I DIE was the plot. The plot was the only thing that kept me reading this book until the end. It was well written and kept me interested to find out what was in store next. Even so, I don't know if that is enough to get me to read book three.

Overall this series has not gone well for me, in fact it seems to be going downhill. While the first book was good, this one was just okay. For me it was a case of "second book blues".

 Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails