Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Aug 2, 2012

Publisher: Mira
Pub. Date: December 20, 2011
ISBN: 0778313077
Pages: 390
Source: Library ebook
Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...
Maria V. Snyder is the author of two of my favorite series ever, now she has added a third to the list. The best part? This is only the first book!

I'm not usually one for books with magic, but this is an exception. Maria V. Snyder takes an idea that seems like it has been done before and makes it something entirely her own. A perfect balance of magic, romance, action, mystery, and adventure make this a flawless story.

This book is almost 400 pages, but it felt like 100. I was glued to the story and devoured it in one sitting. There is a lot of background information given throughout the book and the best thing is you don't even really realize it. Some books clump it all together at the beginning or another point of the story which make it boring and creates those dull sections, but Snyder spreads it out and gives you just enough to be informed and yet still be guessing. This plot is nothing short of a great adventure and kept me on the edge of my seat, there was not a dull moment.

Time and time again Snyder creates some of the best protagonists in YA fiction. I absolutely loved that Avry is not your typical YA heroine, in that she is not even a teenager. At twenty she is one of the oldest characters YA fiction, and also one of my favorites. She is smart, brave, tough, stubborn, and even a little vulnerable; all the traits a great heroine should have. I don't want to talk about any of the other characters to give you a chance to really create your own opinions of them. One of the best things about Snyder's characters is that they aren't always what they seem, and yet sometimes they are.

Overall I believe Maria V. Snyder can do no wrong. TOUCH OF POWER is one of the best books I have read this year. I cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel! If you have not read a book by Maria V. Snyder I highly recommend you do, this would be a perfect choice to start with.

Rating: 5 stars / 5 stars
Goodreads


1 comments:

  1. I had an egalley of this one but I let it expire before I could get to it, which is making me super sad now. It sounds like such an amazing read, and the MC sounds awesome as well- I always love strong characters. And books that intermix backstory gracefully always have my vote. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails